Mining in Waihi has a history that spans three centuries. Gold was discovered in the 1800s and mined underground in the first half of the 1900s. The last 24 years of the 1900s focused on exploration, development and mining of the Martha Mine open pit. In the 2000s the open pit continued to operate while the Favona underground mine was developed – at the end of 2004 – and the Trio underground mine began construction activities in 2010. However, mining operations today are very different to the historic underground mining days. Correnso underground mine began in 2014 and is still operating today.
In 1878 John McCombie and Robert Lee discovered gold in what was to become one of the great gold mining districts of the world.
The Cornish Pumphouse
The Cornish Pumphouse is a relic of the original gold mine in Waihi.
About the historic mine
Gold was first discovered on Pukewa (Martha Hill, Waihi) in 1878.
About the Victoria Battery
The Victoria Battery was named after Queen Victoria in her 60th jubilee year.
The Grand Junction Refinery
The most significant reminder of the Grand Junction mine is its refinery building.