Mining in Waihi has a history that spans three centuries. Gold was discovered in the 1800s and mined underground in the first half of the 1900s. The last 24 years of the 1900s focused on exploration, development and mining of the Martha Mine open pit. In the 2000s the open pit continues to operate while the Favona underground mine was developed - at the end of 2004 - and the Trio underground mine began construction activities in 2010. However, mining operations today are very different to the historic underground mining days.
Gold mining in Waihi has a history that spans three centuries. However, the open pit that exists today and the Favona underground operation are very different to the underground mine that operated in the early days...more »
Gold was first discovered on Pukewa (Martha Hill, Waihi) in 1878 by prospectors John McCombie and Robert Lee. The samples of rock they had sent to be assayed were not considered worthwhile, so they left the area. Their claim was taken over by William...more »
The adoption of the cyanide process by the Waihi Gold Mining Company in 1894 was one of the crucial factors in the success of the Waihi mines. Prior to the cyanide process (pioneered in Karangahake), only a small percentage of gold and silver had...more »
The Cornish Pumphouse is a relic of the original mine in Waihi - the richest gold mine in New Zealand (1878-1952). Built around 1904, from a design used in the tin mines of Cornwall, England, the structure housed steam engines and pumping machinery. The...more »